GREENHILL HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Exploring the effects of the PAST on the PRESENT and FUTURE of our community.
(Scroll down for menu.)
Main Picture - the Radical Pend under the Forth and Clyde Canal - for many years the only way to travel from High Bonnybridge to 'low' Bonnybridge before the bridge was built.
The Greenhill Historical Society is THE main society promoting the historical, social and industrial heritage of Bonnybridge and District. However the Society has its origins in a community education programme which started to investigate the history of Greenhill - a small community to the south of Bonnybridge.... and the name stuck! We are happy to retain the name to celebrate our origins but for some time now we have focused our attention on Bonnybridge and surrounding area. We always welcome new members. Our meetings are held in Bonnybridge Library every Friday from 2.00pm to 4.00pm. We also arrange regular trips of interest to members - local history walks, Scottish Parliament, various museums etc. Come and join us, listen to our stories, have a cup of tea or coffee and tell us YOUR story. There's no membership fee - just a £1.00 donation each week for the tea and biscuits!
Click inside the boxes below to learn more....
- Pre-history to the Romans
- Middle Ages to Post Reformation
- Agriculture and Industry
- Heavy Industry - Brickworks
- Heavy Industry - Iron Foundries
- War Memorials - WW1 and WW2
- Old Bonnybridge Industry Photographs slideshow
- Bonnybridge Past and up to 21st Century
- Bonnybridge video - 1974
- Bonnybridge video - FIRST EVER site of a National Grid pylon!
All written by local residents and available to download and read at leisure
- Project 1 - Bonnyseen Magazine - Online copies to read or download.
- Project 2 - Bonnybridge Memorial Gardens - GHS tree and plinth
- Project 3 - Smith and Wellstood Mural - Replicated after being destroyed
- Project 4 - Bonnybridge and District Heritage Park - from pre-history to the present day
- Project 5 - Remembering the 'Unremembered' - a powerful powerpoint presentation
- Project 6 - Honoring a Cinema Pioneer, Henry Harris (under development - check progress)
- Project 7 - Rediscovering the Antonine Wall Public Artwork - a bronze pyramid
- Project 8 - The Welcome to Bonnybridge Mural
- Project 9 - Rough Castle circular Walk from the Falkirk Wheel Walk and back.
- Project 10 - Plaques and Memorials - put up by GHS over the years
- Project 11 - Roman Themed Public Art
A story of a local landmark re-imagined and local pride restored - all through local funding and support. See the faces, read the names.
Email and Facebook links
Curiosities and mementos form our archives. Pictures, artifacts and documents
More recent photos of GHS